One of my favorite things about lasagna is how easy it is to modify. And this recipe is no different! I generally throw in whatever veggies I have on hand; sometimes that will include mushrooms, peppers, extra spinach, it’s really up to you! So feel free to make it your own!
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 zucchini (1 large, or two small)
- 3 cups spinach (or 1 package frozen)
- 1 jar marinara
- ½ cup cottage cheese (or ricotta, or mix of both)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 egg (optional)
- 12 oz lasagna noodles (oven ready or regular)
- 3 cups Italian cheese blend, shredded
- Heat skillet to medium heat and add sausage (remove casings first if using links). Cook sausage, breaking it up as it cooks, until lightly browned.
- While sausage is browning, chop onion and zucchini. I cut my zucchini into fourths lengthwise before chopping (this is just for the sake of having smaller, more difficult to pick out, pieces...good for picky little eaters).
- Once sausage is cooked, scoop onto plate lined with paper towels and set aside. Add olive oil to skillet if needed, and add onion. Saute onion for 2-3 minutes and then add zucchini. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes and then add most of the jar of marinara. Once the marinara starts to simmer, add spinach (I also chop the spinach to make it more difficult to be picked out).
- Add sausage into veggie and sauce mixture, and turn heat down to low.
- While the sauce simmers, mix cottage (or ricotta) cheese, egg, Italian seasoning, and a sprinkle of salt.
- Pour the reserved marinara into the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Line the bottom with lasagna noodles, then layer cottage cheese mixture (I just put a dollop or two on each noodle), veggie and sauce mixture, and a handful of Italian cheese blend. Repeat until all the noodles have been used. Usually by the time I get to the final layer of noodles, the cottage cheese mixture is gone, so I just put the remaining sauce mixture and top with a final handful of Italian cheese blend. If using oven ready noodles, pour 1/2 cup of water around the edge of the pan.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350° for 30 minutes (less if using boiled noodles). Remove foil, and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese begins to brown. Let sit 5-10 minutes before serving.