This is a staple in our home! It’s very quick, can be made several different ways depending on tastes, and is packed with flavor!
Cheese Enchiladas in a black bean sauce
- 2 cans black beans
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed or diced
- 1-2 chipotle pepper in adobo
- 1 small white onion, diced, divided
- ½ cup water or chicken broth
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 18 corn tortillas
- 8 ounces Mexican cheese of choice. Authentic "queso" cheese is my favorite, but Monterrey Jack or Mexican Blend are also great options.
- ½ lb chorizo
- ½ cup cilantro
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 8 oz queso fresco, crumbled
- In a blender, add the black beans (drained), water or chicken broth, chipotle peppers, onions, and garlic. Blend until the black bean sauce is smooth.
- If using chorizo: heat a medium pot or skillet over medium heat. Add chorizo and brown until cooked through. Remove chorizo to a paper towel lined plate and set aside. Return skillet to stove top and increase heat to medium-high.
- Carefully pour bean sauce mixture into the heated skillet. Cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture is hot and bubbly. If the sauce starts thickening too much, add water or broth to thin.
- Heat up corn tortillas in microwave (wrapped in a towel is my preferred method) until warm and pliable.
- Now assemble! Dip each tortilla into the black bean sauce, transfer to a plate, Fill with cheese and either roll up like an enchilada or fold in half like a taco (this is what I do because it's faster). Sprinkle toppings of choice, including chorizo, and serve immediately.
- *For vegetarian option: use water instead of chicken broth, and omit chorizo.*Add shredded chicken with cheese.
Serving: 3g | Calories: 552kcal | Carbohydrates: 58g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 53mg | Sodium: 918mg | Potassium: 466mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 3IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 13mg | Iron: 22mg